Thursday, July 25, 2013

Performance Art

so, over the past weekend I participated in an endurance piece created by kate gilmore ( http://www.kategilmore.com/) which was transformative, amazing, focusing, meditative, and an experience of a lifetime. I walked for two sessions of 5 hours each over sets of stairs that surrounded a monument in Portland, ME.  The piece was created by but not defined by kate, and she asked audience to get what they wanted from viewing the experience. For myself, the stairs were in sets of seven up and seven down and I totally counted my way through the five hours and was in every moment of my time spent climbing. The stairs weren't aerobic, but there was an aftermath of a sore blistered toe and really tight calf muscles just now subsiding.

I wrote a note to kate to thank her for the experience, and here's what she wrote back:

michele,
thank you for being so fucking amazing!
you blew me away (and everyone else for that matter).
maybe we can fly you around the country to do this!
i loved working with you.  i hope we can do it again soon!
good luck with the rest of your summer... (and your mom video).
xxxx
kate

also, it turns out that I am the oldest woman to ever perform an endurance piece for kate, as well as one of only two women out of the group to perform all 10 hours. Pretty badass, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment