Sunday, October 21, 2012

commemoration....

com·mem·o·ra·tion  (k-mm-rshn)
n.
1. The act of honoring the memory of or serving as a memorial to someone or something.
2. Something that honors or preserves the memory of another.
 
so, I'm working now on a commemorative piece, which originally began as a mirror cover that depicted an honoring of the women who touched me, or "saw" me, in my growing up years and touched my life in a small but long lasting way...aunts who taught me to cook, sewed clothes for my dolls,  untangled the knot in the back of my hair, had me come stay for a weekend or so and just paid attention to me. Now, what's happened is that it's become a commemoration; I'm sewing a whole "kitchen's worth" of items, recycled white fabric, ecru thread, all by hand, and will use the pieces while I  bake a beautiful cake (white, with swiss meringue buttercream) for my daughters...I even found a small wooden cabinet with drawers that will hold the pieces...and video? I'm thinking of people who "see" in a very powerful way...they don't take over the child's life, nor fix anything, they just give a moment of attention that offers a glimpse of light in a child's confused life. It's more than kindness. Does anyone else have pieces of their life that were touched by these powerfully loving and giving types of people? Do you think they realize the impact that they have had?

babushka

potholder

beginnings of the cabinet...1.99 at thrift store!

No comments:

Post a Comment